Total Pageviews

Friday, February 24, 2012

JOURNALING IS ALSO MY THING

All my life I've been a journaler.  I kept a "diary" in grade school.  I continued off and on in high school.  In my young adult life I wrote, and wrote and wrote.  What in the world I wrote about, I don't know...probably boys.  Who I was in love with from week to week (I must confess that I was pretty fickle).  I never wrote about bad things.  I still don't.  When my mother died I didn't even mention it for days.  When my father had a serious heart attack I didn't write about it at all. My journals are filled with the mundane of  day to day life.  But I love them, I love the entries about what the kids are doing and what we had for dinner.

I have several different journals.  For the last ten years I've been keeping a black and white journal daily.  I've filled about 15 sketch books with doodles and words of our every day life. . Here are a few pages....






Then I have what I call my colored journal.  In it I have painted the pages and included pictures from magazines, or other pretty things that caught my eye.  I use a 7 x 7 artist sketch book.  This journal is much more of an artistic endeavor, and is rather time consuming.  Since I went back to work full time I've pretty much given up the colored journal, which is a shame because I really loved working in it.







 It's hard to photograph them, but if you're interested you can see some of my pages here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50087102@N00/sets/943818/

I also keep a Thanksgiving/Christmas journal AND a gardening journal.  Both of these are informational only, no pictures.  But I'm thinking I could interest them up a bit by adding some ornamental details.

So what about you?  Are you a paper journaler? Were you before you found the blogging world?

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you're having a great Friday!




14 comments:

  1. Wow! Your journals are really creative and neat. Thank you so much for sharing them! It inspired me. I've always wanted to journal but never have. My grandfather kept journals everyday for years after he retired. It was just mundane stuff like who he talked to, what he ate, what he did that day. But when he died I loved looking through his journals. It was like spending time with him and I think it helped me to get through the loss of him. Again, I thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. smokers, those are great...puts mine ( words only) to shame
    I do have an illustrated discovery journal...per Sarah BanBreathnach's Simple Abundance
    and I love seeing myself unfold there
    but none left from childhood...wish I had them...
    again..I love your creativity...
    and I would love to see your garden journal...I keep one of those too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been a constant with journaling. I have started journals a few times, but they never lasted very long. They were always gardening journals. I’m hoping the blog will be a record of my garden to look back on for years to come. I love your black and white journal! VERY COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ironic that I stopped by today. Leslie! I'm a journal keeper from way back...hence the name of my blog. However, since I've been blogging, it has sort of taken the place of my written journals. I do keep a great garden journal though, or I'd forget what and when I planted! :)

    Your journals are fun to look at, I love your illustrations, it makes them so fun!

    I found your blog at Martina's and I am now a follower!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your black and white journal with the doodles. I also love the journal with all the colored pictures. I don't journal, but my mother does. She has been journaling for years and still does at age 95. She doesn't have much to say now but she still writes something everyday. She even emails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing! What a wonderful thing to pass down to your kids someday. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very special your journals are! Filled with your thoughts, doodles artwork and creativity, they must be a treasure!

    So nice stopping by to visit with you!
    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie, You are continuing to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your journals are much better than the ones I used to do. I kept a detailed account of everything going on in my life at a time when things were not going so smoothly, health wise. I stopped journaling a few years ago but have been thinking of starting again. I find it helpful to reread what I wrote to give myself a better perception of life today. Thanks for reminding me to get back to journaling.-----------
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are an artist! No, I never journaled. I blame it on my sisters never giving me any privacy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leslie!
    What a creative spirit you are!
    I have never journaled on paper but you have inspired me to do so!I have seen journals with only writing but the idea of a drawings and bits and pcs. from magazines interest and inspires me!
    I have journaled food intake for weight loss programmes I've been on. I have sketched with colored pencils my most inner fears while I was healing from my latest cancer journey..I seem to take pencil and paper in hand when ever I'm in a dark state of mind trying to get into the light.
    Thank you for this post and for taking the time to leave a comforting comment on my post re: Kea's passing. hugs and have a great week.
    BTW in my latest post I have introduced my grandaughter to paint and paper journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your journals. I have a leather bound gardening journal. I also draw little pictures in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just discovered your blog and...it's great! Your journaling is beautiful! I'll be stopping by to see the happenings in your corner of the world. BTW I live in Georgia too. In Woodstock.
    God bless.
    Ginger at agingerlypace.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, so glad you stopped by! I visited your blog, too, but couldn't figure out how to leave a comment. Hope you had a great Christmas. Nice to "meet" a "neighbor" :)

      Delete