Total Pageviews

Friday, April 20, 2012

FLASHBACK TO THE PROM

With prom time upon us, I thought I would flashback to one.   I wish I could say I am flashing back to MY prom, but alas, no.  This is my sister's prom.  I, unfortunately,  never went. I love the new way kids do the prom now, groups going, dateless but friendship heavy.  My sister dated an older boy and got to go to his prom and then a few years later to her own. This is his prom  in 1966, she is an 8th grader and he is a Senior.  Everything about this photo will take you back if you were a teen in the 60's. 

 My sister is the one in pink.  I love the lace overlay on my sister's pink dress. And I love the little pink ribbons in her hair. 
 Oh my goodness, she is so incredibly young ! And so pretty.  She still is:)  The boyfriend is long gone, though.  They dated for a long time.  We all thought they would marry,  but it was not to be.
I also love the long gloves her friend is wearing.  Very chic and elegant.  I guess they must have coordinated the guys, or maybe white tux were the rage back then.  This would be the first year they dated, so I'm sure this was such a big night for her.  

It was tough having an older sister.  I always looked forward to being able to do the things she did,  like wear this incredible hat for Easter that I wrote about here, or go to prom, or heck, even having a boyfriend, only to not have these dreams materialize for myself! My sister was very popular, sure of herself, a daredevil, sporty...I was none of these things.  Now don't get me wrong, I had a great time, I just was different than she.  I'm more "art-y", loner, homebody.

So how about you?  Did you go to the prom?  I notice the teens now days often wear short dresses.  How about you - long or short? Corsage for shoulder or wrist - or none?  Beauty Parlor hair or natural?  I hope you've enjoyed this trip down memory lane.  Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

  1. I love this article you write about the old days! Very Fun! I love looking at old photos. Unfortunately, I went to a very small high school with no prom. I currently, have a senior and she is very excited about prom, so it’s fun to see her experience what I did not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie: AHH, great memories. I only went to one dance in high school (late 50's)It wasn't one of the proms it was holiday time and called Snow Follies and that's with the only boyfriend (that liked me! anyway) but would you believe the girl that was choosing the King and Queen name out of the hat, picked her own name, so had to pick again, and guess what? It was me. Fun, fun. I kind of miss those day..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, love your story and your sister does look pretty and I love her hair! I didn't go to prom either. Now look how bloggy we are! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never went to a Prom myself, but my son has went the last two years. The girls wear, for the most part long dresses, doll up their hair, and wrist corsages are what they do. Prom King and Queen are voted on by the kids. They are Juniors, and they always pick kids that are really nice to everyone. My son never wears a tux, just a dark suit and a tie that matches the girl's dress. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I've never been either. I totally remember my sisters though. She looked sooo grown up. She's two yrs older than me. My mom wouldn't even let me go to a school dance. How sad is that?
    I made up for it. Ha ha.
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute post on the from, I so remember watching my sister get ready for dances and having those long gloves and longing for my turn to go to the prom. Such special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I went to the prom. I was lucky enough to go to a few. I look forward to when my boys go :)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete